Getting adjusted and comfortable within the dimensions of a device is very much essential for a blog. You definitely won’t like that your mobile readers would tap in to the screen to zoom the content or use the scroll bar to move left, right, up and down which is actually difficult to navigate due to seamless scrolling and zooming.
Many readers don’t like to move the content while they are reading it, they might skip off your page and jump into any other relevant page of some other blog, which will result in the increase of your bounce rate. What they want is a comfortable layout where they can easily read the content and for that you need a Responsive Theme.
You can ask, that we can also install plugins like WPtouch or MobilePress to make our blog mobile friendly! But addition of a new plugin means addition of more PHP codes and scripts which helps in increasing your site’s loading speed. Well, did it sounded as a helper ? Well it did, but in a negative way. As the lower the number of plugins, the faster your site loads. Hence the best solution is to have an amazing responsive design for your wordPress blog. But before that, allow me to update you what actually is a responsive layout and check out the collection of some awesome responsive magazine wordpress themes after the jump!
What is a Responsive Design ?
Responsive Web Design a.k.a RWD is a media query of CSS3 which crafts a website to attain a comfortable layout within the fixed dimensions of the device. It’s an extension of the @media rule, with fluid proportion-based grids, to adapt the layout to the viewing environment, and probably also use flexible images. As a result, users across a broad range of devices and browsers will have access to a single source of content, laid out so as to be easy to read and navigate with a minimum of resizing, panning, and scrolling. For e.g. have a look at dConstruct 2012 website. They have wonderfully implied the CSS3 media queries to their layout which makes their theme a perfect responsive one. Try resizing the browser window and you can see the changing effects to the site. Here is the illustration for the same
20+ Superb Responsive Magazine WordPress Themes
1. Reaction WP : Responsive, Rugged, Bold Reaction for WordPress is fully Responsive and SEO Ready, that means that it’ll flex to fit massive screens, or itty bitty iPhone screens (and everything in between). Touch gestures even work on the slider! The new version of the theme is FAST now! The finished theme loads in under 0.5 seconds when hosted with WPEngine.
- Fully Responsive WordPress Theme and Theme-Options Manager
- SEO/SEM – Search Engine Optimized and Ready for Marketing
- The Super Skeleton UI Kit (Exclusive Freebie PSD )
- Fully internationalized and ready for translation!
- 3 Minimal skins and 2 fontstacks to start with.
- Individual Skinnable PSD files for all major UI elements
- Organized CSS files, including easy to use Media-Queries sections.
- Filterable Portfolio/Gallery system
2. Website – Responsive WordPress Theme Website is a responsive theme, which means it adapts to the device on which it’s displayed. The theme cares for your content so it looks great on all devices, but you can also decide to show part of a content on some versions only, and hide on others. This is one of the highest quality responsive WordPress theme on the internet.
- Individual Sliders for each page
- Fully Responsive
- Auto play or auto pause at start
- Video support
- Touch gestures on mobile devices
- Optional caption on banners
- Content may be tweaked for mobile devices
- Optional text for each slide (HTML supported)
- Optional text on banners (with customizable position)
3. Confidence – Responsive Blog / Magazine Theme The Confidence WordPress theme is perfect for personal blogs and magazine sites, it also can be used as a personal portfolio. Responsive layout makes it easier for your visitors to open your site from any various devices. Confidence is very easy to be customized for beginners or experts, with more than 80 theme options allow you to do it all from just one page.
- Responsive layout
- 80+ theme options with unlimited skin colors
- Unlimited sidebar for posts, portfolios and pages with drag & drop sidebar manager
- 3 layout options (left sidebar, right sidebar & fullwidth) for each pages including contact page, portfolio and gallery
- 3 post formats (audio, video & image) with Portfolio post type along with 2 Gallery Styles
- Automatically generated Vimeo and Youtube video thumbnails
- jQuery jPlayer
- 2 WP 3 .0+ menus
- 11 custom widgets with 3 Page templates
- Automatically create a new image sizes (even for images are uploaded before installing this theme) according to the needs of the theme and stored into your WordPress upload directory
4. Gonzo – Clean, Responsive WP Magazine Gonzo is built with semantic HTML5 /CSS3 and is completely responsive. Not only is it responsive but it also keeps that magazine feel right down to mobile screen sizes. Practically every typographic element has been endlessly tweaked for different screen sizes to make sure it looks great no matter what the device. Simplify and present your content in a way that is accessible, logical and beautiful.
- Compatible with AdPress Plugin: For responsive advertising, Gonzo is 100% compatible with Adpress from CodeCanyon right out of the box.
- Facebook and WordPress Comments: You have the option of using Facebook comments to get more reach or use WP comments to preserve anonymity. The choice is yours.
- Four Post Formats: Choose from standard, audio (with soundcloud), video (embed) and gallery.
- GUI Shortcodes: User-friendly buttons/dialogue system. No need to type or remember the shortcodes.
- Widgets included: Facebook Fans, Socialbox Counter, Video, Latest Posts with Thumbnails, Tabbed Widget (supports all widget types) and Flickr Widget.
- Connected Author Page: Dedicated Author page with social media icons directly integrated into the User Panel in the WP Dashboard.
5. Luna – Responsive WordPress Theme Luna is a great responsive wordpress theme perfect for creatives or agencies. It is fully compatible with mobile devices. You can choose between two homepage types, blog and portfolio type. Luna contains many options that will make it easy to customize and fit your needs.
- WordPress 3+ Ready, Fully Responsive Portfolio Theme, Valid XHTML Strict 1.0 & CSS Level 2.1
- Tableless layout + 9 PSD Files included
- Includes 39 background patterns, Tested and working in All major browsers
- 17 Shortcodes button TinyMCE
- Includes 101 built-in Shortcodes and Unbranded Admin Theme Options
- Widget Ready (Page Sidebar, Homepage, Blog, Portfolio, Services, Contact and Footer)
- 5 Custom Post Type (Services, Portfolio, News, Reviews and Our Team)
- 5 Custom Page Templates (About, Blog, Contact, Fullwidth, Right Sidebar, Left Sidebar and Portfolio)
- 9 Custom Widgets (About us, Contact Info, Get in Touch, Newsletter, Review, Site Stats, Tabs, Tag Cloud and TWitter Feed
- 3rd Level Threaded Comments with Custom Social Icons
- Post Thumbnail Images, Custom Fields, Custom Functions, Style and Script Enqueue
- Standard WP Codes, No Plugin Used
- Meta Keywords and Descriptions for SEO
- Page Control using (Right, Left and Full Width)
6. PixelPower – Responsive HTML5/CSS3 WordPress Theme This is a clean, modern, powerful WordPress tumblog-style theme designed for a wide variety of uses from bloggers to design portfolios. The responsive web design adapts from large to mobile screens, just resize the browser window to test it out, no additional setup required! The theme also includes a handy custom bio widget to quickly tell your visitors about yourself with photo, link, bio and social media links.
- Text or Image Based Logo
- Tag and Category Description Display
- Fixed or Standard Header
- Adjustable Header Columns
- Author Archive with Avatar and Description
- Blog Tag Index / Archive Template
- Blog Category Index / Archive Template
- Favicon and Apple Touch Icon Ready
- CSS spites for smart loading of similar icons
- Auto-Sized Featured Image on any Post Format
- Easy to use Column Shortcodes
7. Construct, a Responsive WordPress Blog/Folio Theme Construct is a smart, professional and responsive theme designed to show off your (or someone else’s) work. It can be used as a personal portfolio or as great place to link to anything you think deserves it. It utilises a column based layout and some funky animation effects to keep your users entertained.
- Post Formats (Standard, Image, Gallery, Video)
- Responsive Layout and Optional Mobile Menu
- Upload a Custom Logo, Favicon & Comment Avatar
- Filterable Showcase, Unlimited Portfolios, AJAX Post Loader
- Left or Center Aligned Layout Option
- Custom Breadcrumb Navigation
- Numbered Pagination with WordPress 3.0 Custom Menus
- Unlimited Color Schemes and Auto Resized Post Thumbnails
- Animated Drop-down Menu, Threaded Comments
- Shortcodes & Editor Extras (sitemap, tabs, toggles, accordion, buttons and more… http://cl.ly/DDIL)
- Custom Latest Tweets Widget, Custom Search Widget, Custom Get Posts Widget
8. Tech News – Pro Blogger Theme Strategically built by consulting real bloggers, this theme is an ideal solution for your news blog. This theme has an easy-to-use, intuitive control panel that allows you to configure all aspects of your blog without touching the code. Once you activate this theme, auto-install pre-configured data with just one click so you can easily locate them and edit them to your preferences. Ships with unique, custom widgets such as Slider, popular posts, grid/list view posts, ad widgets, news letter, social media that you can use on your site. Mainly it is a powerful responsive theme.
Preview | Download
9. Bangkok Press – Responsive, News & Editorial Theme Bangkok Press is the most awesome News and Editorial WordPress Theme. With this theme that comes with Responsive Action, your readers can easily read your article everywhere, on there mobile or tablet. There’re more than 10 of blog option for your alternative. Moreover, you can change almost every elements color easily via admin panel.
- SEO Optimized
- Unlimited Color, 6 Footer Layouts, 10+ Blog styles & 450+ Fonts Available
- Drag Drop Page Builder, Drag Drop Slider Manager, Built-in Translator, Built-in Shortcodes
- Font Uploader, Logo Uploader, Background Uploader
- 15 Pre-Defined Background Patterns
- 4 Custom Post Types - Portfolio, Gallery, Testimonial & Price Table
- Thumbnail Options - Static Image, Slider & Video
- Social Share for Posts, Social Link on Header
- Video Tutorial for Setting Up as Demo Site
10. Backstreet – Blog & Magazine Theme Backstreet is a modern wordPress magazine, portfolio and blog theme. With the 3 post formats (videos, audio & galleries) Backstreet can be used for almost any niche. Backstreet also built-in review system (with up to 5 rating criteria). Furthermore you can customize the look of the site easily via the custom theme options panel.
- Light and Dark Skin
- Spotlight, Portfolio, Gallery
- Featured Slider (Full & Small)
- 3 Post formats (videos, audio & galleries)
- Inbuilt review system
- Flexible homepage layout & Custom theme options panel
- 15 Custom widgets, 10 Custom pages and Lots of shortcodes
- PSD Included (Template & Stars)
- Easy thumbnails with WP built in function
- Works with WP 3 .3+
11. Webzine Magazine & Portfolio Responsive WordPress Theme Webzine is a Responsive Layout magazine&Portfolio theme with creative jQuery Brick Slide, it can be set as a Emagazine website, blog, personal homepage, portfolio, and so on. Along with the responsive design, the main highlight of the theme are Waterfall layout and Infinite Scrolling.
- Responsive layout, Unique jQuery slides
- Dark and light skin, 10 color schemes
- Waterfall layout, Infinite Scrolling
- Unlimited background color, Includes 8 background pattern (Custom background pattern too)
- Include 40+ fonts choice, Video play in listpage
- Include customized widgets and Custom Post Type!
12. Zine – Modern & Responsive Review Theme Zine is a modern & responsive review theme perfect for a magazine/blog/review site. You can choose the whole appareance of your website with the theme options panel and manage your content very easily with the 5 custom post types. It can be used as a portfolio or any other purpose as well.
- Instinctive admin interface, Responsive
- 5 Custom Post types: Movie reviews, Music reviews, Video Game reviews, Book reviews & Portfolio
- 4 menus locations: Main Menu, Top Menu and Bottom Menu + Mobile/Tablet Menu. The Top Menu and Main menu support 3 levels drop down
- Custom backgrounds: You can upload a different background for each page directly in your page editor.
- Archive template and custom taxonomies for each post types
- Rating system and Top Rated templates for reviews post types
- SEO feature : you can set up your metatags for each post and page.
- Generate video thumbnails automatically for video post format.
- Filter Portfolio (izotope)
- Complete Theme Options Panel: switch between the 2 pre-made skins (light or dark) , upload your backgrounds, logos, change fonts, change the colors with color pickers, set many options, set your social network profiles url etc… You can upload an advertisment header banner as well.
- Supports Post Formats for your blog (audio, video, image, gallery, link, quote, aside)
- Unlimited sidebars: In addition to custom sidebars for each custom post types, you can create unlimited sidebars and choose which one you want to display on each page.
- Slider Manager: upload and reorder your image by drag’n drop, set captions etc…
- Advertisement Manager: Upload and manage your advertisements and use the “advertisement widget” to display them anywhere in your sidebars very easily.
- A bunch of usefull shortcodes with custom editor buttons to generate them
- Social Share Buttons: facebook, twitter, google+, linkedIn, pinterest (meta automatically generated.
- Social Plugin : Set links to your social network profiles in the theme options ( available)
- Author Box and Author Templates : extra profile fields added for your authors (twitter, facebook , google+, linkedIn, Digg, StumbleUpon, Flickr, Youtube)
13. Big City – Personal and Blog WordPress theme BigCity is a Personal and Blog WordPress Theme. Packed with powerful features to suit almost every needs and yet so simple to use.
- Responsive layout
- Speed increase
- Font uploader
- Header choice for every page and post
- Any content in headers now possible
- Updated theme options
- New portfolio features
- Orbit slider added
- Post slider update
- Updated contact form
- Many bug fixes
14. Goodnews – Premium WordPress News/Magazine Goodnews is Premium WordPress News / Magazine Theme Fully Customizable , has an extensive Theme Options with Import/export System , WPML Ready, RTL Full Support. The latest version is fully responsive and has 2 theme layouts, 2 color schemes and 2 custom colors. It has 2 homepages – Main Home and 2 Column Home.
- Valid HTML5
- Unlimited Colors, Custom CSS, RTL Full Support, Unlimited Sidebars
- 3 types of posts (articles/video/slideshow)
- 2 layout options (Full width/ Fixed Width)
- Full Localization Support (contains .po/.mo files)
- News Ticker Marquee, 19 Custom Widgets, Extensive Theme Options
- jQuery Support, Page Templates
- Shortcodes (Columns, Buttons, Toggles, Tabs, Accordion, toggle, google map, video, boxes, Twitter, Flickr)
15. Ares Blog Magazine Newspaper Template
- Featured Posts Slider
- 6 Menus and Skins
- Unlimited Colors (using built-in color picker)
- 8 Custom Widgets
- Custom Menu support for pages and categories
- Page styles ex. full with, with sidebar
- Styled typography and flexible page columns
- Built-in Related posts feature
- Translation Ready
- Social media profiles Support
- Style shortcodes ex. image frame, dropcap etc.
- Column shortcodes ex. 2, 3, 4 columns
- WordPress featured image support for post
- Unlimited sidebar. Create and select sidebar for each of your page!
- Contact us page with validation and ready to use PHP mailer
- Unobtrusive jQuery powered effects
16. Dryer – Multipurpose WordPress Theme Dryer is a fully customizable premium WordPress multipurpose theme for your corporate blog or website. The theme is powered by Warp Framework and is fully localized/internationalized and has been tested in all major browsers so you can be sure your users will see your website correctly. The theme has full support for RTL languages.
- Responsive Layout
- Completely built on the latest web techniques HTML5 , CSS3 and PHP 5 .2+
- The theme markup is well structured and very semantic which is great for search engine optimization.
- Full support for right-to-left language localizations in sidebar, module and menu layouts.
- Ready for translation (contains .po/.mo files)
- Child Theme support
- Add tracking code through theme options
- Social media buttons
- Define logo, favicon and apple touch icon
- Completely customizable (background, colors, etc…)
17. True Pixel TruePixel is a fully responsive WordPress Theme from MyThemeShop. This Widget ready, clean WordPress theme is a perfect mix of elegance and style. You get an eye catchy layout without compromising on the space for your content. TruePixel is highly customized for speed and usability, comes with tons of options and unlimited color schemes.
- Fully Responsive Layout : TurePixel theme is responsive, which means it is great to read on desktops and handheld devices, without a need of extra plugins or software.
- Custom Typography : Typography is important part of website design. You can switch between Top 30 Google fonts from admin option panel without touching the code.
- Unlimited Color Schemes : TruePixel comes with unlimited color schemes. Give your creativity new dimensions by trying different color schemes.
- Related Posts : Just one click and each post will show the related posts with thumbnails.
- Shortcodes : TruePixel has inbuilt shortcode generator directly from WYSIWYG editor and has 40 shortcodes to offer.
- Custom Widgets : TruePixel comes with 10 powerful and useful custom widgets.
- Option Panel : Easy to use admin option panel, that allows you to easily customize everything! No need to know PHP, HTML or CSS.
Responsive themes help you in better user friendly layouts without the use of external plugins for mobifying your site. It cuts down the use of necessary mobile theme plugins and provides one theme layout for different types of devices. I would recommend to use HTML5 and CSS3 compatible themes for better user experience.