Well, Now-a-days many users are upgrading their custom firmware for their respective Symbian Phones, and many are in the queue list to learn how to do so. So today I’m presenting you an easy tutorial on “How to Flash/Hack your Phone’s Firmware (Nokia -X6|5530|5800|5230|5233|N97|N97 Mini)”
This tutorial is applicable with all Symbian phones but the firmwares that i’ll provide here are only for Series 60 5Th Edition Phones which will show a complete tutorial to flash your Symbian Phone. Till now, only Nokia C6′s firmware is available as custom firmware for s60v5 Phones. So till then enjoy
You can use your custom firmware from any other site, just to show you all I’m providing some links of C6′s firmware here. Please Note, these firmwares are for the latest version of your phone models.
First download the firmware for your respective phone models from here:
Download RM-588 Rofs2 from here
Download RM-625 Rofs2 from here
Download RM-504 Rofs2 from here
Download RM-356 Rofs2 from here
Download RM-559 Rofs2 from here
Then, Download Core Files from here. Check your respective RM’s and download accordingly.
Now copy Nokia C6 firmware, all 7 files (6 Core Files, 1 Rofs2 File) to C:Program Files/Nokia/Phoenix/Product/RM-625
Note : If this directory is not there you have to create it. The no. of core files will not be same as compared with that of other RM’s core files. In the address bar, write the RM of your phone model at the last, RM-xxx (RM-356, RM-588, RM-559 . .) I’m showing this tutorial by taking the reference of Nokia 5233, RM-625.
Software Needed for Flash
1) JAF Setup 1.98.62 ,
2) .ini file (jaf_nok4models),
Note : Turn off your ANTIVIRUS software for the time you’re flashing, as sometimes OGM_JAF_PKEY is detected as virus but its not a virus, it’s 100% safe The Software’s are archived together in a RAR file called, “Nokia Flash Tools“. Download them from the above link.
1. Install JAF 1.98.62
2. Copy the downloaded OGM_JAF_PKEY_Emulator_V5 file to C:/Program files/ODEON/JAF/
Delete all other JAF shortcuts created on Desktop screen.
3. Place the jaf_nok4models.ini file in c:/program files/ODEON/JAF/
Replace the older one with this file.
4. Connect your phone with USB in Mass Storage Mode first, Delete private, resource, sys, patchs folders from your memory card and then Switch Off your phone and keep it connected to USB. (Exit your PC/Ovi Suite)
5. Now go to C:/Program files/ODEON/JAF and Open ‘OGM_JAF_PKEY_Emulator_v5‘ (THE BLUE ICON).
Note : If you are using Windows 7 or Vista, run the PKEY in compatibility mode of Window XP (Service Pack 2) as it is supported only with XP Platform.
6. After starting the Emulator, many lines will appear. Don’t worry about that, Click on go. JAF will start but will show an Error : BOX DRIVER NOT INSTALLED. Click OK.
7. JAF will show three tabs DCT4, BB5, P-KEY. Our phone is of type BB5 so click on it.
After that u will see many boxes ticked.
8. Untick ‘CRT 308’, Tick ‘Normal Mode’ ‘Manual Flash’ and ‘Dead USB’ then tick ‘Use INI’.
Wait for a while a box will come within few seconds. From that box choose your phone model NOKIA 5233 RM-625 and click OK.
9. Now you can see below in the “Status and Results” window, JAF will show the location it searches for the firmware flashing files.
Note : The location will be like “C:Program FilesNokiaPhoenixProductsRM-625
10. Everything is done, click on the ‘FLASH’ button the top right corner of JAF window.
Note : A Warning box will pop up, don’t get scared, its just a general notification, so click ‘YES‘. Just remember that you’ve checked your version of your mobile before setting the files to flash. The firmware I’ve provided here is for the latest versions.
E.g. It’s for Nokia 5233 V50. Don’t use this firmware if you have v40 version. If you have V40 then mail me, i’ll send you the firmware for your version.
Now it will tell “PRESS POWER ON NOW ! Searching for phone..”
Now press your Phone’s Power button for 1/2 Seconds, dont keep on holding it. Check on JAF and it will say Phone Found and Erasing and Flashing will start shortly.
** Note : If your phone is not found even after trying many time again and again change ur USB port and try.
11. Flashing takes 1 minute and then JAF will say Done after pooling the phone. The phone will restart.
12. Remove the cable and phone will mostly be showing ‘Local Mode Screen‘. It will restart automatically. If it doesn’t then remove the Battery, Reinsert it and Power On.
DONE DONE DONE , ENJOY YOUR NEW FIRMWARE
If further you face any other problem, then feel free to contact me or comment below with your queries. For more ease I have also created a Video Tutorial regarding this for you all. If anywhere you don’t get the steps then follow the video for the details explained in each step. Check out
3 WAY FLASH PROCESS
Many people are unable to flash their phones with this process which shows them errors like Error reading INIT Data, Files corrupt or missing, Phone not found etc. So for them, here is a 3-way Flash process which is comparably more convenient than the above mentioned process. Kindly follow the instructions below :
1. First backup your phone data i.e. only contacts and messages to your memory card. Do not backup using Nokia Suite. To backup via phone, go to your File manager > Select backup > Backup Content only Messages & Contacts (Bookmarks if needed) > Options > Backup Now.
It will create the backup in your memory card and the phone will restart.
2. Go to your Core Files Location i.e. C:Program Files/Nokia/Phoenix/Product/RM-XXX/ and rename the .C00 file to .c0r extension. This is very much essential or else the process won’t work.
3. Open JAF Emulator by running it with Windows XP Service Pack 2 compatibility mode if you’re using Windows 7.
4. Go to BB5 tab and untick CRT308, tick on Normal Mode, Dead USB and Manual Flash. Now like before don’t click on Use INI or else it will automatically use the firmware files.
5. Click on the following lights and select the files respectively.
MCU - c0r
PPM - rofs2
APE - uda
You will find total 3 green lights will be glowing instead of 4. As here we are not going to select any file for CNT. CNT light will not be glowing and it shouldn’t glow in this process. Don’t select any file for it.
6. Now simply click on Flash, it will show a warning that you have selected the above files for flashing, downgrading will kill phone. Ignore it and click on yes.
7. When it will ask to power on your phone, Gently press the power button for 1/2 seconds and leave the phone without any disturbance. Remember, your phone should not get disturbed a bit also or else the Init usb connection will be lost and it will show error reading phone data or phone not found. Do not disturb them.
8. After the flash is complete, it will show “Nokia Local Mode” in a white screen. Remove your battery to switch off your phone, insert again and switch it ON. It will work perfectly fine. If you want to hard reset your phone after flash, then dial *#7370# to format your factor settings and data.
9. Restore your backup data via phone’s file manager and enjoy your new custom firmware!
This tutorial has been made with lot of dedication and hard work for those who are struggling to flash their phones. Screenshots and Video Tutorial have been added so that user can understand each and every step. If you find this guide helpful, kindly take some time and share our posts and like our social accounts. It will make us happy! Cheers.